A spotlight on Our Lady of Guadalupe in Lourdes

Published on 2 December 2021 - 09:00

At 12 noon on Sunday 12th December, a mass will be celebrated in honour of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It will be presided by Father Mauricio Elias, “chapelain” and coordinator of the Spanish-speaking pilgrims and animated by the Daughters of the Most Holy Immaculate Virgin of Lourdes (Les Immaculatines).

Mary, Mother of all living things

Let not your heart be disturbed. Am I not here, who is your Mother?” These are the reassuring words that the Virgin of Guadalupe addressed to the native Juan Diego on 12th December 1531, during her 4th and final apparition. She, Empress of the Americas since 2000, Patroness of Mexico since 1895, Patroness of Latin America, Patroness of the city of Ponce in Puerto Rico and Patroness of Peruvian students since 1951 wanted, as of that day, to leave her image on a simple “tilma” (a tunic made of vegetable fibres), as a sign of God’s Love for believers and non-believers.

In 1754, Pope Benedict XIV designated 12th December as the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. For several years, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes has taken part in this festivity by celebrating a mass in front of the Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe (on the left arm of the Rosary Basilica).

 The restoration of the chapel of Lourdes celebrates its 10th anniversary

This chapel is located on the left arm of the Rosary Basilica. It has undergone a complete overhaul. The Virgin of Guadalupe, Queen of Mexico, arrived in Lourdes on 12th May 1966, when the Martinez family from Mexico in collaboration with the Basilica of Guadalupe and the Sanctuary of Lourdes carried out several months of work to restructure this chapel with stone mosaics from Arudy (France). Eduardo Tamariz the sculptor, made two statues, one in bronze which is in this chapel and the other in marble which can be seen in the Chapel of Reconciliation of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes.
On Sunday 18th September 2011, Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera (the then Archbishop of Mexico), inaugurated and blessed the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe, after the enhancement and renovation work funded by a Mexican philanthropist. This restoration was made possible thanks to the joint work of Mexicans, Spaniards, French, and Italians. The restoration of the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe brought life and colour to this chapel that pilgrims from Latin America found sad and grey.